Riders can help with checking and maintaining the rights of way in their own area.

If you find a bridleway obstructed:

You have the legal right to leave the Bridleway and make your way past the obstruction as best you can. However, we do not recommend this because if you do any damage, and on wet ground, even hoof-prints could be counted as damage, you could be accused of trespass. Also, and especially if the obstruction should consist of, or be secured by, wire, please – in the interests of us all – do not attack it with wire-cutters!

Your next move

Is to talk politely and reasonably to the farmer – this is where knowing his name can be of particular help. Don’t damn him out of hand, the reason for the obstruction may be entirely justifiable. If the clearing of an overgrown track is involved, you could offer to help, or to organise a working party; this must be done in the name of a recognised user group e.g. our Bridleways Association. Such offers of help will be appreciated and help to establish a good relationship. However, if you make no progress by this means approach…

The Parish Council

Many Parish Councils have joined Parish Paths Partnership who should be able to help you. It is worth getting to know your own Parish Council, in the hope than they can be persuaded to be helpful. Better still – get elected to yours. If you know beforehand that you are unlikely to receive any help from your own or any other Parish Council, bypass this sub-paragraph.

Still at a loss

Use Somerset County Council website to report a problem with a public right of way.

There are links below to local MPs. If you want to find out who your MP is try clicking on   www.direct.gov.uk.